Chocolate orange lovers, are you ever in for a treat. This creamy, rich, and decadent vegan cheesecake combines your two loves, and…drumroll please….it’s actually made sans dairy, gluten, AND refined sugars. A perfect sweet treat for any special occasion! -Chef Amber St. Peter
• 1/2 cup pitted dates
• 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
• 3 tbs melted coconut oil
• 3 cups soaked raw cashews
• 3/4 cup orange juice
• 2/3 cup agave – or liquid sweetener of choice
• 1/4 cup cacao powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon orange extract
• 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
• 1/4 cup grated vegan dark chocolate as garnish, optional
Instructions for the crust
• Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or strong
blender. You want to keep the consistency quite chunky.
• Scoop mixture into a 9″ springform pan (the easiest way) or line
a cake or pie tin with waxed paper and scoop it into that.
• Press the mixture into the sides and bottom of pan. Freeze to set,
at least one hour or more.
Instructions For the cheesecake:
• After your cashews have soaked for at least an hour, throw
them in your Vitamix, other blender or food processor. Add the freshly squeezed orange juice, agave, cocoa powder, salt, orange extract and coconut oil.
• Blend on high for about a minute, more if your machine needs
it. The consistency will be that of a thick pudding, whipped and mostly pourable.
• Remove the crust from the freezer and pour cheesecake filling
on top, tapping the pan several times on the counter to level the filling completely flat.
• Place the assembled cheesecake back in the freezer or in the
refrigerator, at least 3 hours to set completely. Placing it in the freezer will result in a firmer, more ice cream like texture. Placing it in the fridge will leave it much softer and more like a custard.
• Once the cheesecake has set, remove it from the fridge/ freezer
and top around outer edge (or anywhere you like really) with grated chocolate.
Recipe by Chef Amber St. Peter.