There’s nothing better than eating seasonally, and we definitely look forward to summer for all the amazing stonefruit! This tart really champions the tart flavour of summer plums, made even better by sweet almonds and homely pastry.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150g almond meal
- 2 tbsp spelt flour
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 large ripe organic plums
- 1 + ½ tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 packet Careme Gluten free shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbs flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C. Prepare a 30cm tin with a removable base then line with the gluten free pastry. Put aside in the fridge for 10 minutes until the filling is ready.
- For the filling, place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat it together with a wooden spoon until it goes a pale colour. Stir in the eggs until mixed, then stir in the almond meal, flour, almond and vanilla extracts. Cover and place in the fridge for later.
- Slice the plums in half and remove the stones. Then cut each half into six slices.
- Pull the pastry and filling out of the fridge, it’s time to assemble!
- Roughly spread the filling into the base of the pastry, make sure there are no gaps, then arrange the plums on top. Start from the outside and work your way in, this means you can slightly overlap the plums!
- Sprinkle over the brown sugar and place in the oven to cook for 45 minutes, the pastry should be a little brown, and the plums slightly caramelised.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool slightly before serving, top with flaked almonds.
Note: Cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days