These Gluten Free and Egg Free bagels are the best fun! Haven’t you always wanted to make your own at home? I have! Try this amazing recipe by Orgran.
- 150 milliliters low-fat milk or dairy-free milk
- 3/4 cup maize corn flour
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup ORGRAN GfG Gluten Substitute
- 1 teaspoon ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer as per packet instructions
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- teaspoon ORGRAN No Egg™ Egg Replacer as per packet instructions
- 2 teaspoons water
- 50 grams sesame seeds, poppy seeds or coarse salt *optional
- Combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (except ingredients for sprinkle).
- Form a well in the middle, add wet ingredients slowly and mix until soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough until smooth and any excess moisture has been absorbed.
- Once dough is made, this is how you can turn them into bagels!
- Cut into 8-10 equal pieces. Roll each piece between your palms to form a thin rope, about 20cm / 8 inch long with tapered and overlapping ends. With moistened fingers, pinch or lightly knead the joined ends so the circle is securely fastened.
- Set the bagels in a warm place to rise and cover them loosely.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
- While they are proving, bring about 2.0L of water to boil in a deep saucepan and add 1 tbs. of sugar.
- When the bagels have risen, after 15 minutes or so, drop one or two bagels at a time into the boiling water. Handle them as gently as possible so they do not deflate. They will rise to the surface of the water and swell up.
- Cook for 1 minute, then turn them over and let them cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Remove the bagels and drain over the water.
- Then place the bagels on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Beat the egg white with water and brush over the bagels then sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds or coarse salt.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Ingredient alternatives: Rice flour, Maize flour and Orgran GFG can be substituted with 250g of Orgran Self Raising Flour
Serving suggestions: Try your bagels with smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill OR serve with a vegetable antipasto of capsicum, zucchini, pesto and bocconcini.