This recipe will convince you that a savoury breakfast can be a wonderful thing. Breakfast Porridge With Soft Egg And Pea Shoots recipe.
- 2 medium shallots, peeled, halved through root
- 1 1” piece ginger, peeled, crushed
- ½ cup brown rice, rinsed well
- ½ cup red quinoa, rinsed well
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces young leafy pea shoots
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, fresh cilantro leaves, and sliced scallions (for serving)
- Bring shallots, ginger, rice, quinoa, and 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often after the first hour of cooking to prevent sticking, until mixture is thick like porridge and rice is very soft (should be starting to breakdown), 1 ½–2 hours. Stir in more water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Discard shallots and ginger and stir in soy sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add pea shoots and cook just until shoots are wilted and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, then carefully add eggs. Boil 6 minutes (exactly), then transfer eggs to a large bowl of ice water. Let cool and peel.
- Serve porridge, drizzled with oil and topped with soft-boiled eggs, radishes, peanuts, cilantro, and scallions.
DO AHEAD: Rice and quinoa can be cooked 2 days ahead. Gently reheat with 2 Tbsp. water before adding soy sauce and remaining ingredients.
Recipe by Alison Roman, via bonappetit.com
Photograph by Yossy Arefi